Steamed cauliflower with cherry tomatoes
I have noticed that the people who are late are often so much jollier than the people who have to wait for them – E. V. Lucas
This is soooo true! Isnt it extremely annoying to be waiting all the time. Especially when the late-comers cannot really make out the difference 😛 Anyways, I just read this quote on my google homepage and couldnt help commenting about it.
Moving on …
So this morning, I made this awesome dish for lunch. Pure good wholesome veggies – power packed one dish meal, can be eaten quickly, especially when one has back to back meetings all day long 😛
Ive eaten broccoli practically all forms – raw, steamed, roasted, boiled. But not so much cauliflower. So this one’s to you, O Lovely Cauliflower!
1 small head of cauliflower (bigger if you are making for more people/meals)
1 yellow bell-pepper – sliced
15-20 cherry tomatoes – halved (or quartered if needed)
1 small onion – finely chopped
1 green chilli (not the extremely hot thai ones, just the regular medium spicy chilli)
1 tbslp butter
1 tblsp oil
1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Cut the cauliflower into florets (try to make all of the same size – easy to cook)
2. Steam the cauliflower florets. There are several options to do this. Steam using one of those bamboo steam baskets, or boil the florets for 5 minutes in boiling water and drain quickly, or place the washed wet florets in a microwave safe colander and place the colander in the microwave for 10 minutes. The florets will be crisp but soft and ready for consumption. Set aside.
3. In a saucepan, add the butter and oil. Add the green chilli and onions. Cook for 3 minutes until the onion is tender. Add the bell-pepper now and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the cherry tomatoes and season with salt and cayenne (if you like spicy)
5. Cook until the tomatoes are tender and the juices start flowing out.
6. To serve, prepare a layer of steamed florets on a dish. Spoon the cherry tomatoes mixture on top. Garnish with herbs if you like and you are good to go!