Chicken Veggie Stir Fry on a Bed of Rice
I have a few posts pending for a few days now … just cant seem to be able to sit down and write something. This evening, I just decided to do some leftover cleaning – encoded for heating up and eating up all the leftover food from the past 3 or so days, so no cooking and hence some spare time to do other stuff – like blogging 🙂 Its funny, when you cook specially, you only have that one or two food items on your plate, but when you decide to eat leftovers, you have a large plate with lots of variety – a small bowl of soup, a little rice, a little curry, some stir-fry, some this, some that and voila! you have a full meal!!
So while I enjoy this colorful meal, let me catch up with some of the things I tried over the weekend and past couple of days.
I wanted to finish some of my frozen chicken from last week’s grocery. Whenever you want to finish something, whats better than preparing a stir-fry mix. Its very similar to preparing a broth – throw in whatever veggies you have (of course not anything and everything and definitely nothing going bad … but you get my drift), mix in some stir fry sauce, some chilli and soy sauces and there you go …
Generally I like to eat stir fry with noodles, but this time I just made some quick cilantro lemon rice to go with the chicken and veggies. So essentially, there is no special recipe or so. But this is what I did.
1. Chop the chicken (boneless or with bone) into small bite sized pieces. In a bowl, mix chicken pieces with ginger-garlic paste, pinch of salt and turmeric and one egg. Mix and let it marinate for about 30 minutes.
2. In a pot, heat some oil for frying, fry the chicken pieces in small batches and set them aside. Normally it takes about 4-5 minutes to cook them in each batch.
3. Chop your veggies (broccoli, carrots, peas, bell-peppers, etc…) , wash, drain and set aside.
4. In a wok, heat some oil, add 1 tblsp of garlic paste. Add 1 tbslp of soy sauce and then the fried chicken and veggies. Stir and toss. Pour in about 1/2 a cup of stir fry sauce (diluted if you have concentrated sauce) and toss to cover veggies and chicken with sauce.
5. Allow it to cook on medium flame for 5-7 minutes. Meanwhile, you can prepare your rice.
6. Once the rice is cooked, add some chopped coriander, mint and a tblsp of lemon juice.