Chickpea Spinach Stew
I am obsessed with spinach. This is the third thing in a row with spinach in it that I am cooking 🙂 This is a very simple stew, quick to make and tastes good. After a long day at work, this was a good hearty meal that I enjoyed quite some.
I got the basic method from “Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone” by Deborah Madison. Just added some, skipped some depending on what I had on hand.
1 big bunch of spinach – cleaned and chopped
1/2 can of chickpeas
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 medium onion – finely chopped
1 medium tomato – finely chopped
2 tblsp dried parsley
1 tblsp paprika
1. Heat some oil in a pot or a saucepan.
2. Add the onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add the ginger-garlic paste. Cook for a minute. Now add the parsley and the paprika. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and the coriander.
4. Add the chickpeas and mix well. Cover and let it simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
5. In the meantime, in a different pot, add 1 tsp of oil. Put the chopped spinach and cook until it is soft. Don’t cook completely.
6. Once the spinach is done, add it to the other pot with the chickpeas. Add salt and adjust taste.
7. Cook for about 8 minutes, until the spinach is cooked and the chickpeas are slightly soft.
8. Serve hot.
I actually ate this just like that, without any rotis. Maybe I was too hungry 🙂