Every time we used to go out for any day-long picnics or outings, my mommy would always make this dish and carry along. Its very simple, fast and tastes awesome!! I had almost forgotten about it since its been many years, but the other day I was in Trader Joe’s getting some other stuff, and I saw the pearl potatoes and all the memories came flooding back into my head. Some fun we used to have then 🙂
Anyways, here’s the recipie for it. This dish is also called Chatpat Aloo and there are a plethora of recipes on the internet on how to make it. This is just how I made it.
1 onion – finely chopped
1 tomato – finely chopped (you can skip these too)
About 10 pearl potatoes. You can even pick the smallest ones from regular potatoes in Indian stores. They are just to be cooked in whole, hence should be small.
Fresh finely chopped coriander leaves
Red chillies (dry), Jaggery, Tamarind sauce – Adjust according to how spicy/sweet/tangy you like your food.
Cumin seeds – 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
1.Boil and peel the potatoes and set aside. If you are using pearl potatoes, take care not to keep them in cooker too long, or they will disintegrate. Potatoes should be in whole.
2. Add onions to a pan containing oil. Cook for 2 mins. Add the tomatoes.
3. Now you can add the spices (cumin, red chillies) – Cook for about 2 mins
4. Now add the tamarind paste, salt and crushed jaggery. If you dont like the tanginess of the tamarind too much, you can add more jaggery, but make sure you dont over-do it and make it too sweet.
5. Once it achieves curry consistency, add the boiled/peeled potatoes. Do this gently and toss and turn them in the curry. Leave it on a low to medium flame for 10-15 mins. The potatoes need to get the curry taste in them.
6. Finally, garnish and serve.